Tech Tips: Sync iPhone Calendar with Google Calendar
Today’s Tech Tips: How to Get Multiple Accounts to Work Together on Your iPhone
You may think that setting up a Google Account on an iPhone is an impossible task. Thankfully to the most recent versions of iPhone Google accounts are now supported. This makes it possible to cross that bridge in technology we all come across; working with multiple platform dependent accounts on one device. This clever tech tip will take only a few minutes. Follow these steps to easily sync your Google calendar within the iPhone Calendar app.
Tech Tips: Step by Step
- From your iPhone access the settings.
- Navigate to the section: Accounts & Passwords.
- From the bottom of the list choose Add Account.
- Select Google from the list of officially supported options.
- Enter your Google Account email address and password.
Note: Two-factor authentication will require you to set up an app password for your iOS account additionally.
- When you tap Next you will notice slider prompts for Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Notes. Set up as required.
Note: For the option to only sync the calendar, you will need to deselect all the above. Only keep the Calendar option enabled.
- The syncing process follows. This might take a few minutes depending on your connection speed and the size of the newly connected calendars.
- Next open the Calendar app on your iPhone.
- To display a list of iPhone calendars you now have available you need to tap the Calendars icon at the bottom of the screen. All the linked Google calendars will be available, including the private, shared as well as public calendars associated with that account.
- Here are a few additional options:
- You can view as many calendars in your iPhone calendar app by selecting or deselecting individual Google calendars accordingly.
- Change the colors of each calendar by choosing the circled red i displayed towards the right side of the calendar name.
- It is also possible to rename calendars while you change the default colors.
Additional Tech Tips on Synchronization
It is important to know that some of the unique features of the Google calendar like the room scheduling tool, event notifications and the ability to create new Google calendars will not work within the iPhone calendar application. This does however mean that you can use such tools in Google calendar. They will update just fine within the Apple calendar application. You can also add as many Google accounts as you wish, but we wish to caution you to use only the calendars and accounts you require. Quite naturally many accounts and calendars will take up unnecessary space (especially if there are many attachments associated with your calendar items). Additionally, the more devices that sync to a calendar, the higher the risk of encountering sync errors. The idea of the tech tips above is to keep it simple and focus on the availability of the information from your calendars in Google on your iPhone, without the hassle of installing and configuring additional apps and or third party application tools.
Unfortunately Google does not offer stand-alone calendar apps for your iPhone. Should you wish to use alternatives, the Microsoft Outlook app for iOS integrates with your Google mail and calendars. This can be a neat choice for people who wish to avoid the standard iOS calendar app, but still want to access their Google emails and calendars. It should be noted that neither Google nor Apple offer built-in tools to merge calendars. This is however possible by exporting out of one application and importing it into the other (the long way around without any sync whatsoever). With the syncing tech tips described here we aim to have the best of both worlds – always updated, without having to change devices. After all, in the fast-paced world of today having the latest information available at our fingertips is what technology is all about. Zapro Digital brings you mobile apps for business. We offer more tech tips at your fingertips with Best Tips & Tricks for Outstanding Mobile App Development